Okay so the title is just a song that popped in my head. if you look up the song it is completely irrelevant to what this post will be about.
The way we perceive our bodies or what we think our bodies should look like
I came to the starking revelation that this is something that should be discussed after something I witnessed today.
One percent of teenage girls in the United States will develop anorexia nervosa and up to 10% of these females may die as a result
In the United States, as many as 10 million females and 1 million males are fighting a life and death
battle with an eating disorder such as anorexia or bulimia.
• Over onehalf of teenage girls and nearly onethird of teenage boys use unhealthy weight control behaviors such as skipping meals, fasting, smoking cigarettes, vomiting, and taking laxatives
• Girls who diet frequently are 12 times as likely to binge as girls who don’t diet (NeumarkSztainer,
• 42% of 1st3rd grade girls want to be thinner
• 81% of 10 year olds are afraid of being fat
• The average American woman is 5’4” tall and weighs 140 pounds. The average American model is 5’11” tall and weighs 117 pounds.
• Most fashion models are thinner than 98% of American women.
I personally have never had an issue with my size. I know that I am small and it`s something I have learned to cope with. I can`t really gain weight when I try. Actually, my body image issue came with my breasts, they`re huge especially on me. But I realized God didn`t make us all equal and they help to make me me, somehow. But most females I know are on the opposite side of the spectrum: they don`t cope with their body and can`t lose weight if they try. They have a negative body image.